About Metropolitan Transport Corporation Chennai:
In 1947, the Government of Madras nationalized the passenger transport for the first time by introducing 30 buses in Madras City, side by side with the buses run by the private operators at that time. The operation was under the control of the then Madras State Transport Department. In 1972, the departmental setup was transformed into a company setup in order to inoculate a commercial approach without sacrificing the social responsibilities. Thus, PALLAVAN TRANSPORT CORPORATION LIMITED was formed under the Companies Act 1956, by the Government of Tamil Nadu on 01.01.1972 with a fleet strength of 1029 buses.