About Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services:
The Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences Department traces its origin to the days of His Highness Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar when an establishment by name "Benne Chavadi" existed (1672-1704). During Tipu Sultan's time the name was changed to Amrut Mahal. In 1915-1916 the control of this department was given to Agriculture Department and the Animal Husbandry was placed under a Livestock Expert. In 1945 the department was separated from Agriculture and became an independent department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences in Mysore State.The Fisheries Department was later brought together with Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Department and thereafter at Secretariat level the Department of Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Sciences and Fisheries came into existence.